So...today I ran into one of the women I work with who's pregnant...or so I thought. She asked me how my baby was and I'm sure I looked like a deer in the headlights and at that moment I could tell she
knew she said the wrong thing. I started crying and told her what happened. She apologized a million times and listened to my story...Leila's story. She started crying and told me she had her daughter already as well. I had NO idea. She was born premature like Leila (I don't know at what gestational period) and she was 1 pound 6 oz...1 ounce less than Leila. Her daughter is currently in the NICU (the same NICU Leila was in) and AAAAAAALL these emotions start flooding back...me being in labor and then being told I would be giving birth that night...so now I'm shaking because I'm just overwhelmed with everything. We talked about how emotional it is having your baby in the NICU. We talked about loss and the uncertainty of it all when nurses and doctors tell you she might not live. She told me she's been guilty of being insensitive to BLM (her aunt in particular). I told her honestly you
never know unless you are in that situation. She agreed. I told her about my feelings after my daughter died and this time she was more understanding because she is in a
very similar situation. Anything could happen at any moment and nothing is guaranteed. We talked about having feelings of overwhelming guilt when your child's in the NICU. Her boyfriend wants them to go out with friends or to family functions and she feels like she shouldn't be doing anything because her daughter is fighting for her life in the NICU...WHY should she have fun when her daughter is not?...These are the EXACT same feelings I've felt...and it doesn't get easier if your baby dies either. :( I'm just
extremely overwhelmed with emotions. I'm not happy she's in the situation I was in, but it feels good to have someone to talk to about it. I just hope we won't have more in common later down the line. I will pray for her baby and I hope you all will too. I don't know her baby's name (we didn't get around to that) but her Mommy's name is Kanani, so please pray for her daughter to continue to thrive and to be able to go home with her mama soon.
Leila,
Sweetie, please look out for Kanani's baby girl. If you see her coming to heaven's gates ever PUSH her out if you have to.
I love you honey...always and forever
Love,
Mama
4 comments:
OMG...... I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad you have someone you can share with and even guide through this process. It is such a hard one. Be there for her and walk by her. You are such an amazing person and you will be an amazing support for her.
Praying
xoxo
oh wow kalia, you did not tell me this yesterday!!! I will pray for her too, of course i am praying for you as well. all those thoughts and emotions flashed YOU right back to where she is now and of course that is hurtful....i am so sorry you had to re live that OUT LOUD...that is so hard..im giving you a (((((((hugs bear hug)))))))) right now in my head girl, love you!~~
Oh :-( They will be in my thoughts.
Post a Comment