Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 15, 2010

Kindness of a stranger

My mom and I were talking the other day about work and how one rude person can ruin your day so easily. We also talked about one person [a stranger] being able to pick you back up. I love those kind of people. She told me about a friend of hers years ago that told her a stranger saved her life one day. She was having a terrible day and didn't think she could go on (if ya know what I mean) when this man walking past her on the street smiled and told her to "smile, life is beautiful". That simple saying made her smile and literally saved her life. This morning I was on the train and a man politely asked if he could sit next to me. I never got a weird feeling from him so I was happy to offer the seat to him. He asked me if I knew where a certain building was on campus, I told him I was going that way and he could just follow me. We talked on the way there and he told me he was going to an interview for Law school to get a second degree. He had just moved to Portland from Philadelphia and loved it. We talked about other things on our short walk to the building and when we parted ways I told him good luck with the interview and take care. He patted me on the shoulder and said "thank you SO much and thank you for your concern." Just the way he looked at me like he truly felt good that I cared made ME feel good. :) Yesterday was a terrible day for me and today this man really made my day. Shoot I can't remember his name now but wherever he is THANK YOU SO MUCH! When my mom was telling me about random people that come into our lives and change it in just a brief moment, she said maybe it's our loved ones pushing them towards us to cheer us up. I believe I met this man today on purpose. He really did make my day! :)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

thats so beautiful kalia! Im so glad he cheered you up. <3

TanaLee Davis said...

Oh wow Kalialani!
You know that is beautiful to hear that experience.
A close friend of mine once told me, "happiness doesn't just happen, you have to make it for yourself." you smiled showed concern for another and it made both your days better. I'm sure you see the fall weather and smile because its beautiful. Remember too that "there is more happiness in giving then there is in receiving." Keep your chin up.
I'm thinking of you. Im sorry about the other day.
~Felicia

Jessica said...

I truly feel there is not much better then random kindness from strangers! So unexpected and wonderful <3

Anonymous said...

Strangers can be truly amazing sometimes! So glad you had that brief encounter with him!!!

Violet1122 said...

I have been "saved" by the kindness of strangers before. There is nothing else quite like it. I'm glad you had an uplifting experience - and I'm glad you wrote about it too. When you are having bad days, remind yourself of what happened.

((Big Hugs))