I was reading an article that was posted on facebook by another BLM. It was about a photographer that took pictures of babies that have passed for their families. It took me back to the morning you died. They asked (before you died actually) if I wanted to bring in NILMDTS to take pictures for us. I looked over the pamphlet and contemplated for a second. Your daddy told me it was up to me, but I made a quick decision based on what I thought other people would think of it. I didn't know I'd long to stare at your pictures. I didn't notice at the time that I didn't have a picture of me holding you where you could see your face. I've regretted this for the longest. I wish someone would have told me I'd want more of you...that I'd need more of you after you were gone. The nurse also asked if I wanted her to cut a piece of your hair off. Your daddy wanted to, but I said no. All I could think about was how I wanted you in one piece. I didn't want that nurse touching you at all. I already had to leave you in the ground alone...I didn't want to take your hair from you. Now that I think about it I know that it's just hair and that I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I took some to remember you by...but I couldn't bring myself to do it that day. Who can make decisions like that under such a stressful time? We didn't dress you in more than a diaper and a blanket...I should have put you in that little preemie giraffe outfit that I love so much. It's still hanging. Sometimes I lay it against my chest imagining you in it laying on my chest. All of these things break my heart everyday. I miss you. I wish I would have known I'd feel this way when it was happening. I hate myself for it. I just want you back in my arms. I want the chance to do things over. I hope you forgive me. Because I can't forgive myself. I love you my baby.
Love,
Mommy
3 comments:
((Big Hugs))
I can't presume to speak for your little girl... but I'm certain she loves and adores you just the way you are. And I'm also certain that she thinks you did everything right.
I'm praying you find moments of peace in the coming days. I wish I had the power to make everything better and give you the life you want with your sweet baby.
Regrets are so tough. I still struggle with mine. Hugs to you mama.
This just breaks my heart. I know I am here for you now, but I wish I was more present then... I don't think there was anything I could have done really, except "be" with you, support you.
I hate how regret burns a hole in our already broken hearts. Even though it is hard struggling with the " I should haves", Leila is so much more than some beautiful photos and a lock of hair, and you made those decisions based on instinct, so they weren't wrong choices. Leila is an amazing little girl who showed the world miracles happen <3
Post a Comment